Prost!

So I have been brewing since the summer of 2006. It has passed being a hobby, I love the time I spend brewing. In the last few years brewing has become part of what I am.

I spent a short stint with a small brewery and after a long hiatus from the world, things are starting to shape up toward a new revelation(revolution) in my brewing life. Come follow on the journey, I can't promise being heavily active but will try to keep posts interesting and informative.

Feel free to email at info@barefootlionbrewing.com or follow on Facebook




Facebook Feed

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lil' Tart and Tasty

Triple decocted Berliner Weisse.
Brewed today with an old friend and his brew partner.  What's the fun of showing someone the ropes of all grain brewing if you are going to make it the longest mash possible.  The mash smells wonderful, we'll check back in a few days. 
If you don't understand a what a sour mash is I'll give a basic description.  After the last step of the mash has completed the mash is then chilled, I brought mine down to 115F.  Once at 115F I pitched a handful of raw grain into the mash.  On the surface of the grain live several bacteria, we are hoping to take advantage of lactobacillus.  Lactobacillus is an anaerobic bacteria that will hopefully take hold of some of the available sugar in the mash and make itself home at the nice comfy temperature.  To discourage some of the other "bugs" that we don't want, I purged the mash with CO2 to drive off oxygen since most of what we are trying to keep out of the mash are aerobic bacteria.  After a few days lactic acid will drive the pH of the mash down, at that point the rest of the brew will be done.

1 comment:

  1. Had a good time that day. I even learned a few things. Next time we'll have to do a All Grain brew from beginning to end.

    T

    ReplyDelete